Well the earnings call just ended and I have to say that Mr. Heins seems very very focused and knows what he wants. What does Mr. Heins want? Partnerships. Over half Q&A was talking about Partnerships. It seems very very likely that we will be seeing BB10 on superphones made by another manufacturer…. like Samsung.
Here are some highlights:
- Will not give up control of hardware; however, that doesn’t mean they need to make it themselves, it could mean they give another company spec benchmarks and that company makes the phone
- Heins seems very in favour of partnerships to push BB10
- RIM will not be sold, its not on the table (para phrased)
- Stronger investment in enterprise
- They want Blackberry to be the next Apple basically, they want people to lust for a Blackberry
- Heins impression of RIM at day 2 of being CEO is very different than his position 10 weeks in today, partnerships focus is evidence of that change
- Heins says he has a clear focus on the next 1-2 years of rim
- Heins feels that with BB10 RIM can grown into new consumer markets (CARS!!!)
Overall Heins said all the write things and then some. RIM is going to be a very lean, mean fighting machine and he wants to make it more enjoyable to work at RIM (Ice Cream Lunches?)
He noted in his opening speech that the structure of the company is changing to allow, among other things, the talented people in the company to bring out positive change themselves and to foster innovative ideas within the company.
In the end though, it all comes down to execution and I for one have faith in Thor
*** Upon further thought, I wanted to ad that these Partnerships that Mr. Heins is looking for, could also take the form of software partnerships ala Amazon taking over the Music/Movie stores *****