I am not sure exactly when RIM started rolling out this change but I did not notice it yesterday and it is not documented in RIM’s App World Storefront release notes. If you check out an App World app product page today you will notice a few small cosmetic changes that RIM made with the pages. Some of these are older like listing compatibility with the PlayBook separately from smartphones but the new ones allow you to:
- Collapse the product description by default to only show the first few lines
- Show five of the latest reviews instead of only 2
- Instructions for how to use the QR codes
Personally I am hoping RIM keeps on rolling out these iterative updates. Some of the key areas they need to focus for the website are:
- Larger screenshots. Better yet use a lightbox to show them.
- Larger font for descriptions (11pt Arial is tiny for a website)
- Allow at least basic HTML in descriptions
- Start using AJAX to load content instead of requiring a page reload on every link (Reviews, screenshots, etc)
- Let developers post videos of the app
- When PlayBook and BlackBerry smartphone apps are combined on a page detail the different release dates and version numbers
Let us know if you noticed anything else or want any other updates from RIM’s App World team!