I ported my number to Google Voice awhile back and it has been awesome. I have been using the Google Voice website from my PlayBook to send and receive SMS and listen to voicemail but Gvoice promises to simplify that. They have ported their WebOS Google Voice App to the PlayBook allowing you to:
- Forward calls through your Google Voice number
- Send and receive SMS text messages from your Google Voice number
- including support for long messages exceeding 160 characters!
- Archive messages, mark as read or starred, block callers, delete conversations
- Search past text conversations
- Do-not-Disturb mode to force all calls to voicemail
- Automatic new message checking
Sadly this app does not allow you to make Google Voice calls like a VoIP app but hopefully somebody is working on one of those! Until then you can pick up Gvoice in App World for $1.99.