During a presentation at MWC Tim Neil, RIMs Director of Application Platform & Tools Product Management (Here at Slide 26), laid out a platform roadmap for BlackBerry ranging from BlackBerry OS 7 through the PlayBook to BlackBerry 10. This is the first time I have seen anything in writing from RIM about this and I found it enlightening. I recommend you check out the slides for yourself but here are some of the highlights I can derive from the slides:
- BlackBerry 10 is where the Cascades UI framework fits into RIM’s roadmap. Devs are waiting for this to easily create User Interfaces.
- BlackBerry 10 is shown as where Cascades/TAT meets HTML5 for “SuperApp Integration”
- RIM will be adding the BBM Social Platform and Push services in BlackBerry 10
- Cascades will allow both 2D and 3D elements in app UIs
- Cascades promises built in signature effects
I am hoping RIM details more about the SuperApp API’s they plan on adding in BlackBerry 10 shortly. Hopefully we will see a beta that is available for the PlayBook soon!