I just came across this extremely useful utility app for my PlayBook. It is called CompRemote Lite and once configured, turns your PlayBook into a trackpad complete with left click, right click and scrolling features that controls your computer! I am preparing to start student teaching soon and have been looking for excuses…I mean reasons to use my PlayBook in the classroom. This is a perfect app to allow me freedom to move around the class as I control the computer from my PlayBook. I’m sure many of you can think of other ways to use this as well. Any presentation and messing with co-workers, friends and family are a couple that come to mind right away.
The app looks like the screenshot above with one exception: there is a broken line along the right side of the screen that allows for scrolling. This was added in an update. You can also input text using the PlayBook keyboard by using the standard swipe from the bottom left corner gesture. Overall, the performance is quite impressive with only a short lag between touching the PlayBook screen and moving the pointer on your computer.
Setup is simple once you figure it out.
- Install CompRemote Lite on your PlayBook
- Download the java app on your computer here
- Open the java app and enter your PlayBook’s password. If you do not have a password (shame on you ) enter 0000
- Click start
- Type the IP address that comes up in the jave app in the CompRemote app on your PlayBook
- Enter your PlayBook password
- Click OK
- Voila! You’re connected to the computer!