While on stage during the DevCon Europe 2012 keynote Alec Saunders took to his “Myth Busting” again. He shared some updated details about BlackBerry development and how it compares to the competition and its ranking as the second most profitable app store after Apple’s App Store. According to the stats Alec cited there are now over six million daily downloads from App World. Here is how that breaks down:
- 6 million daily downloads in App World which is about 180 per month
- That translates into 2.4 apps per user per month or about 29 a year on average
- Over 2 billion downloads total reached in January 2012
- BlackBerry users download more paid apps on average than Android users do (Yankee Group)
- BlackBerry apps generate 40% more revenue than Android apps (Vision Mobile)
- 13% of BlackBerry developers made $100,000+ from BlackBerry App World apps, considerably more than Android or Apple developers (Evans Data Corp)
Those are some pretty impressive stats for BlackBerry developers both new and old and clearly shows there is money to be made. Let us know what you are planning on making for BlackBerry!
PS: Ben let me know that Alec was carrying around a presentation clicker that looked like a “big red button.” Maybe he was using it to demolish the myths?