We have been keeping you up to date on RIM’s BBM Generation Protégé Challenge that started in October of 2011. It gave young people a chance to meet and work with some top “Celebrity Influencers” in six different categories. They went through a few rounds of challenges and now RIM has finally selected the six grand prize winners (one for each of the six Celebrity Influencers). Congrats to the winners. You can find their names below or check out their entries here!
- Theresa Tran of Vancouver, BC will be meeting fashion designer and television personality Whitney Port
- Audrey Morgan of Cherry Hill, NJ will be meeting teenage singing sensation Greyson Chance
- Devon Carlson of Shaunavon, SK will be meeting film and TV actress Michelle Trachtenberg
- Amy Loverin of Walnut, IA will be meeting U.S. Women’s Soccer Goalkeeper Hope Solo
- Tristan Josef of Garden Grove, CA will be meeting celebrity blogger Jared Eng, JustJared.com
- Brittany Hohn of Somerset, NJ will be meeting entrepreneur and “Intern Queen” Lauren Berger
BlackBerry Announces Six Grand Prize Winners of the BBM Challenge
Eight-week contest inspires young people to pursue their passions as they vie for the chance to meet their celebrity idols
Waterloo, ON – January 10, 2012 – Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the six winners of its BBM™ Challenge contest, which was designed to partner aspiring young adults with some of today’s top celebrity influencers. Utilizing a variety of social applications for BlackBerry® smartphones including BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger), 150 young adults competed in an intense eight-week contest for the opportunity to meet their idols in person.
Officially launched on October 3rd, 2011, the BBM Challenge tapped into and encouraged the enormous creative talents of young adults as they pursued their passion in the areas of fashion, music, film, sports, popular culture and entrepreneurship. The contest was centered around the BBM Challenge Council – a group of high achieving celebrity influencers who represent the accomplishments derived from talent, hard work and the spirit to succeed.
RIM is pleased to announce that the following individuals have been selected as grand prize winners of the first ever BBM Challenge:
Theresa Tran of Vancouver, BC will be meeting fashion designer and television personality Whitney Port
Audrey Morgan of Cherry Hill, NJ will be meeting teenage singing sensation Greyson Chance
Devon Carlson of Shaunavon, SK will be meeting film and TV actress Michelle Trachtenberg
Amy Loverin of Walnut, IA will be meeting U.S. Women’s Soccer Goalkeeper Hope Solo
Tristan Josef of Garden Grove, CA will be meeting celebrity blogger Jared Eng, JustJared.com
Brittany Hohn of Somerset, NJ will be meeting entrepreneur and “Intern Queen” Lauren Berger
“Our youth are a new generation of collaborators, who use social tools, like BBM, to get things done together in innovative and creative ways,” said Rick Costanzo, Regional Managing Director – Americas at Research In Motion. “What better way to promote the pursuit of their passions than to connect them with their biggest celebrity influencers through BBM, one of the largest mobile social networks in the world.”
During the course of the eight-week contest the celebrities played an integral role in mentoring, advising, and encouraging their Protégés using the social communication tools on their BlackBerry 7 smartphones.
Here’s how the BBM Challenge contest worked:
- Beginning October 3rd, candidates from each of the categories were invited to submit a video or photo and essay at (www.bbmchallenge.com) telling the relevant BBM Challenge Council member why they should be selected as a protégé. Up to 25 protégés were selected in each category and invited to compete in the Challenge.*
- Protégés were sent a new BlackBerry® 7 smartphone for themselves and up to three friends, who collaborated on the Challenges outlined below. Each BBM Challenge Council member provided their protégés with their personal BBM™ PINs and communicated directly with the protégés during the course of the program to issue challenges and offer support and encouragement.
- The BBM Challenge Council issued four separate challenges to their protégés over an eight week period. Challenges ranged from pitching an idea for a business to raising money for charity. Protégés used their BlackBerry smartphone to document their entries, collaborate with their teams using BBM, and tap their social networks to garner support as they competed for the attention of their council member.
- At the end of the contest, the winning protégés from each category along with their team will visit and spend time with their council member.
- The contest unfolded online as program followers could see videos featuring the BBM Challenge Council detailing each of the Challenges and watch video footage generated by the protégés for each of the challenge submissions.
Further information about the BBM Challenge, including full contest details, rules, regulations and full entries can be seen at http://bbmchallenge.blackberry.com/desktop/en/us/home.html