LAS VEGAS, NEVADA–(Marketwire – Jan. 9, 2012) – 2012 International CES, (South Hall, Booth 30326) QNX Software Systems Limited, a global leader in software platforms for the in-car telematics and infotainment market, will showcase its new cloud-connected concept car and latest automotive software technologies at 2012 CES. Highlights include smartphone integration with one-touch Bluetooth pairing, tablet-based rear-seat entertainment, a reconfigurable digital instrument cluster, and high-definition hands-free communications.
The company, along with its technology partners, will also preview the latest version of its QNX CAR™ application platform, which will allow automakers to harness the rich application possibilities of HTML5.
The QNX demonstrations, which will take place at the BlackBerry® booth (South Hall, 30326), include:
- New QNX concept car – See how integration of the driver’s smartphone in a concept Porsche Carrera creates a rich, in-vehicle experience with personalized navigation, entertainment, and information services. Discover how one-touch Bluetooth pairing using Near Field Communications (NFC) eliminates the hassle of pairing the driver’s phone to the car. And experience how conversational voice recognition and in-vehicle controls enable drivers to use the car’s infotainment system easily and conveniently.
- The concept car shows flexible integration between tablets and in-car systems, with front-seat control of rear-seat tablets and the ability for any device to play media stored on any other device. It also demonstrates QNX Software Systems’ ultra HD voice technology, which provides 48KHz full stereo bandwidth for clearer, easier-to-understand hands-free calls.
- The concept car supports an array of applications, including TeleCommunication Systems (TCS) hybrid navigation services, Vlingo voice-to-text and voice recognition, a multilingual speech engine, the Poynt virtual personal assistant, a Weather Network app, and streaming Internet radio from Pandora, NoBex, Slacker, and TuneIn.
- New QNX CAR™ 2 reference implementation – This invitation-only demo will showcase the features of the QNX CAR 2 application platform, including an auto-centric HTML5 framework, the QNX® Neutrino® Realtime Operating System, a powerful multimedia framework, and an award-winning acoustic processing library for hands-free systems. The platform’s new HTML5 framework will help enable automakers to keep their vehicles fresh with new content, address consumer demands for the latest mobile apps, and leverage a huge developer community. The QNX CAR 2 application platform is scheduled for general availability in mid-2012.
QNX partner technology demonstrations at CES 2012 include:
- nfuzion – QNX technology partner nfuzion will showcase its latest advances in automotive user interfaces, running on the QNX® Neutrino® Operating System. The company will highlight a digital instrument cluster, head unit, and rear-seat entertainment system in its first concept vehicle, a Mini Cooper Countryman, at the Bellagio Hotel, South Tower. In this demonstration, nfuzion’s HMI nTactic Framework running on QNX software enables vehicle OEMs to easily manage and deploy unique user interfaces to support vehicle branding as well as customer personalization. The implemented architecture allows five screens to communicate with each other, enabling car owners to personalize displays and manage media content.
- Freescale Semiconductor – Freescale will demonstrate the QNX CAR 2 application platform running on the i.MX 6Quad Applications Processor in their private suites. The i.MX 6 Series processors provide advanced performance and graphics capabilities for optimal performance of the QNX CAR 2 software platform.
- Texas Instruments – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) will demonstrate an HTML5-based automotive HMI reference design enabled by the next-generation QNX CAR 2 application platform, utilizing TI’s OMAP™ and C6000™ “Jacinto” platforms, and WiLink™ and BlueLink™ wireless connectivity solutions. Highlights include speech recognition, advanced graphics, HD Radio™ software-defined radio, enriched connectivity, remote Web browsing, 1080p HD video capabilities, and more of the latest automotive advancements. TI will hold the demonstrations at the Las Vegas Hotel.
“This year at CES, QNX Software Systems is highlighting how HTML5 will change the way consumers interact with their vehicles and mobile devices. The QNX CAR 2 application platform will be key to helping automakers support rapidly evolving customer demands for access to the latest services and information in their cars,” stated Derek Kuhn, vice president of sales and marketing, QNX Software Systems.
The company will also demonstrate the QNX CAR 2 application platform at the Consumer Telematics Show (CTS), co-located at CES in Booth 3. Moreover, QNX representatives will speak at CTS and at the AT&T Developer Summit:
- Consumer Telematics Show – “Competing Visions for the Ultimate Operating System,” January 9, 3:55 – 4:30 pm, Mandalay Bay
- AT&T Developer Summit – “HTML5 for automotive infotainment: What, why, and how?”, January 9, 5:25 pm, Palms Casino Resort
QNX Software Systems has licensed its software technology for millions of in-vehicle systems worldwide, including digital instrument clusters, hands-free systems, multimedia head units, connectivity modules, and 3D navigation systems.