I know you guys are dying for more details on BBX and the upcoming PlayBook OS 2.0 update just as badly as I am. Kyle from BBCool scored some more details from the Q&A RIM had after their BlackBerry Innovation event recently. They covered some great stuff but here is the highlight reel:
- 4G PlayBooks will launch around the same time (early 2012) as the PlayBook 2.0 OS which is scheduled for February 2012. It has been in testing for several months on multiple carriers.
- PlayBook OS 2.0 will be bringing speed improvements to Bridge without many UI changes. Mostly improvement and functionality. There will be “some updates down the road”
- RIM has teams working on extending PlayBook video chat into an endpoint for corporate video chat so it is beyond just device to device. (I want to know more!)
- PlayBook messages and PIM will sync almost as fast as smartphones.
- The push infrastructure is the same as the current smartphone push but the moderator did not think PIN to PIN messaging was in OS 2.0 yet
- OS 2.0 will have spell-check with type ahead and word prediction
- S/MIME encryption will not be available at OS 2.0 launch but will be available shortly after
- Currently the PlayBook native email does not color code BES vs Personal email
- BlackBerry Mobile Fusion server can handle 10,000+ users per server compared to the current 2,000 user limit.
- RIM Plans on making more apps be able to connect to the internet over bridge
- RIM is looking into other PlayBook sizes
- The 4G PlayBook will not have voice capabilities beside video chat at first. The initial release will be data and video chat. There will also be third party apps that can make regular calls but nothing from RIM.
- Corporate and personal contacts are in one general list but the device knows which is which. Any new contact will be corporate by default.
You should definitely check out the full Q&A transcript at BBCool. I just wish if they would have asked how email read/unread/delete etc along with Calendar and Contact sync work between your PlayBook and BlackBerry Smartphone…