RIM didn’t go into much detail in their press release before but both Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie were on the investor conference call that just ended. They had quite a bit to say including the fact that 35% of sales for Q2 were for BlackBerry 7 devices in the last few weeks of Q2. They were also talking quite a bit about the PlayBook, BlackBerry 7, and the QNX phone transition. Here are the bullet points I wrote up from the call:
- BB7 received enthusiastically by both carriers and consumers
- Early sales of BB7 are strong
- Plans for driving PlayBook sales on the way
- Nortel patents will help RIM in the future of RIM’s platform
- BBM music has access to 10 million songs at launch later this fall.
- NFC to differentiate first to offer secure access to buildings
- 13 billion BBM connected apps downloads
- App World 129 markets
- PlayBook software bundle of many features such as native PIM apps, video store and movies
- Movies available same as DVD release
- Update will be demo at devcon and release thereafter.
- Android app player will be released also shortly after DevCon
- QNX smartphone development is going well. Prototypes will be shown in the near feature.
- QNX smartphone app eco-system will be demo-d at DEVCON
- RIM is on track to a better Q3 performance with help from BB7 and plans for holiday sales.
- QNX smartphones will have all the features users want when they are released
- PlayBook OS 2.0 will bring BES support
Let me know if I missed anything!