Since RIM reached out to us about the BBM Hackathon competition I was very intrigued. Working together with RIM we managed to sweeten the contest with our own BerryReview Wildcard contest entry to the RIM BBM Hackathon (www.bbmnyc.com) we told you about earlier today. While RIM is offering up 10 invites to the event we have our own prize. The developer who wins our BerryReview Hackathon contest will not only get a free trip to NYC (Flight & Hotel) to attend and compete in the Hackathon event from August 10th through 13th along with $500 spending money. Our winners will also get a free BlackBerry Bold 9900 (when available) courtesy of BerryReview!
Sounds too good to be true? Obviously there are rules but first lets cover how you enter OUR Hackathon contest. Since the winner must have the skills to compete in the RIM BBM Hackathon we decided to make our contest a test. To enter you simply have to create an original BlackBerry Smartphone Java or WebWorks app that makes our Judges laugh and offer it for free to all our users. The contest app must be funny but not crude or harmful and should hopefully not take a skilled developer very long to create. For example, you could create a prank app that pretends to put your phone through a washing machine cycle when it reboots (I got the idea from the first virus prank I ever saw). Or it could simply pull in other funny content like funny quotes. We will be judging the entries based on originality, BlackBerry development skill demonstrated, design, and most of all if it manages to make us laugh (or cry laughing). You can even win brownie points if throw in some BBM Social Platform features though that is not required.
Submissions to the BerryReview Hackathon can be made through the comments on this article or by emailing [email protected]. The BerryReview Hackathon contest apps must also follow the same restrictions as the BBM Hackathon contest including: No crude, illegal, hateful, offensive, disparaging, or other restrictions for entry apps which are set in the BBM Hackathon contest rules. To be eligible to win the BerryReview Hackathon you as the developer must both submit an app following the rules above and also:
- have an idea for a new BlackBerry application that incorporates BBM
- have the capability to build a BlackBerry smartphone app with your idea
- have a laptop with all the software, accessories and equipment needed to build your app, including a laptop loaded with BlackBerry WebWorks or BlackBerry Java
- be a resident of the United States, District of Columbia (excluding Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Florida) or Canada (excluding Quebec)
- be able to travel to attend the BBM Apps Hackathon Event on August 10-13, 2011, and be able to confirm such availability within 48 hours of potential winner notification
- understand that the BBM Hackathon NYC event will be filmed and that by participating in the BBM Apps Hackathon Contest, consent to the filming of your developer story and the use of your image
- Submit your entry by 11:59 EST on July 22nd so winners can be announced on July 27th
If you win our BerryReview Hackathon contest you will receive a:
- Free BlackBerry Bold 9900 when available
- Economy flight for you from the international airport nearest your residence to New York City departing on August 10, 2011 and returning on August 13, 2011
- Three night hotel stay in a standard room at the ACE Hotel
- Attendance at the BBM Hackathon Event on August 11 and 12, 2011
- $500USD spending money
- The prize also includes exclusive invitations to a party on the evening of August 10 and a dinner on the evening of the 11th.
- Free publicity for both your apps on BerryReview!
So what are you waiting for? Start developing and let us know in the comments or on the tip line if you have any ideas for developers or just want to bounce some ideas off the community. Also don’t wait for the last minute to enter! Somebody else might steal your idea…
Kudos to #TeamBlackBerry @ RIM for making this happen! You know who you are!