Last month RIM introduced the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK v2.1 for the PlayBook Tablet OS and now the smartphone variant is getting the same upgrade treatment. Developers can now download the new BlackBerry WebWorks SDK v2.1 for smartphones. This update brings similar functionality, APIs, and features as the Tablet update.
This update was codenamed the Epsilon release of WebWorks and includes:
- NTLM & BASIC Authentication support (NTLM support requires a BlackBerry Enterprise Server)
- Camera API (take a picture or a video)
- Top Banner Indicator API – The Banner Indicator API allows you to place your own icon and number in the banner area of the device home screen. This allows you to provide notifications to your users of changes in your application while it’s running in the background.
- Enhanced Push APIs – The enhanced Push API takes advantage of all the push capabilities the BlackBerry platform has to offer and is compatible with the latest version of the BlackBerry Push service. One new feature of the enhanced BlackBerry WebWorks push API is the ability to have your application register to be woken up when new push data arrives for your application.
- Improved rendering speeds for applications not using loading/transition screens