RIM has updated their BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS just got a nice update today to v2.1. This update adds some more feature parity with the AIR APIs available along with adding the BlackBerry In App Payment API. That is interesting since the In App Payment API is not available to smartphone WebWorks developers. RIM has also opened more of the APIs to be called using AJAX.
The new API’s available in the WebWorks 2.1 SDK include:
- Camera API for taking pictures/video taping from within the WebWorks applications with the PlayBook’s powerful dual HD cameras
- Microphone API which developers can use to activate the capability to record audio with the PlayBook’s microphone
- Identity API provides applications with the ability to retrieve information about the BlackBerry PlayBook PIN
- File IO API which gives developers the possibility to read, copy and write files onto the Tablet OS file system.
- File Properties API
- Home Screen Category
- App Securities Permissions
RIM has updated the API Reference Guide for the new SDK. So what are you waiting for? Download the latest WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS. You can read some more details about the announcement on RIM’s devblog.