ZAGAT has not had much luck creating a solid app for BlackBerry though the years. I remember thinking that v5 a few years back would be good but the iteration of apps tended to be slow and clunky instead of elegant like the Amazon, Newegg, or other apps. ZAGAT is hoping the 8th version is a charm and has thrown in a bunch of new features along with support for newer devices and optimized for touchscreens.
Their new version 8.0 is packing the following updates and new features:
- Now supports the newest BlackBerry® devices: The display and user interface are optimized for the powerful features of the newest BlackBerry devices®.
- Location-based search: View Zagat Ratings and Reviews for nearby restaurants using your phone’s location.
- Restaurant Reservations: Make restaurant reservations right from the app.
- Map view: View Zagat-Rated restaurants plotted on a map, either nearby or near a specific location.
It also includes the following features:
- Includes Zagat Ratings and Reviews for over 30,000 restaurants in hundreds of cities worldwide.
- Search your nearby locations, Metro Areas, City/State/Country, Postal & Airport Codes, and recent locations.
- Find your way there with full-color maps.
- Search and browse listings by cuisine/category, neighborhood, feature and Zagat’s well-known Top Lists. You can also sort by Zagat Ratings, as well as cost.
- Integration with your phone lets you add a reservation to your calendar, add a listing to your address book and call an establishment with one click.
- Email a review to a friend using BlackBerry’s built-in email service.
The ZAGAT app is still a subscription service with a monthly plan going for $1.99/month and a more reasonable $9.99/year annual subscription. There is also a free 14 day trial for you to kick the tires before trying it out. I know I will be making use of the trial but let me know what you think!