When you first setup a BlackBerry PlayBook it asks you to register with a BlackBerry ID and then ties the whole PlayBook to that BlackBerry ID. I was actually asked last week by a user how to change this and had no idea other than wiping the device. Turns out that is what RIM proposes for you to do in their latest knowledge base article. I am guessing this is because they assume all the data on the device is associated with that BlackBerry ID and needs to be removed… The only other caveats are that all installed applications including the preloaded Need for Speed and Tetris applications will also be removed and have to be reinstalled.
Check out the knowledge base article on how to change the BlackBerry ID associated with a BlackBerry PlayBook below or at this link
When setting up the BlackBerry® PlayBook tablet, a BlackBerry ID is required to activate the tablet. This allows seamless access to a variety of BlackBerry® products and services such as the BlackBerry App World storefront.
Once this account has been configured during the initial setup, all activities on the BlackBerry tablet will be authenticated to that BlackBerry ID. If another BlackBerry ID is entered after the initial setup, the following message will be displayed:
In order to change the BlackBerry ID that has been activated to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet on initial setup, a security wipe will need to be performed. To accomplish this, complete the steps below.
NOTE: Before performing a security wipe of the BlackBerry tablet, be advised of the following:
- A security wipe of the BlackBerry tablet will remove any downloaded applications and media (Including pictures/video taken on the BlackBerry tablet or transferred via a PC)
- To transfer media and documents saved on a BlackBerry PlayBook to a PC before a security wipe, see KB26068.
- Applications purchased through BlackBerry App World on the BlackBerry tablet will still be associated to the BlackBerry ID they were purchased from but will be removed from the BlackBerry tablet upon a security wipe.
- These purchased applications can be reinstalled through BlackBerry App World at a later time. Under the Uninstalled tab, tap the Reinstall button next to the application to reload
- Any configuration changes made to the BlackBerry tablet (Including Bluetooth pairing information, settings changes, etc.) will be reset to defaults after a security wipe is performed
- Depending on the amount of data stored and the capacity of the BlackBerry tablet (16 GB/32 GB/64 GB), the security wipe may take longer than expected. Ensure that the BlackBerry tablet is plugged into the power outlet to prevent power loss during the security wipe
- After a security wipe, Tetris® and Need For Speed™ Undercover will be removed from the BlackBerry tablet. To reinstall these applications, complete the following:
- Open BlackBerry App World on the BlackBerry tablet
- Tap into the Search field
- Type EA Tetris and tap Return on the keyboard (Type EA Undercover to locate Need For Speed Undercover)
- Tap the Tetris for PlayBook icon (Should indicate the price is FREE)
- Tap Download
To perform a security wipe of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, complete the following:
- Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner to open the Options menu
- Tap Security from the listing on the left
- Enter blackberry to confirm the security wipe, then tap Wipe Data
- The BlackBerry PlayBook will then reset
- Once the PlayBook restarts, the initial setup process will be presented. Complete these steps and enter the correct BlackBerry ID when prompted.