Twitter for BlackBerry v1.1 has been in the Beta Zone since March but it looks like it is coming for public consumption today. One of the administrators on the official BlackBerry forums put up an announcement today for the new version of Twitter. I tried the usual links at www.blackberry.com/twitter and in App World and they are still showing version 1.0 so let us know if you spot the new version.
Here is what is new in version 1.1 of Twitter for BlackBerry:
- Geotagging functionality on Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones is designed to allow BlackBerry smartphone users to add their location to their Tweets. Users can switch location on/off before each tweet.
- Users can receive immediate notifications, using BlackBerry Push technology, when they are mentioned by another Twitter user. Users can control whether they want to be notified when anyone mentions them or just when their followers mention them.
- Direct Messages has been renamed to Messages to align with the Twitter experience and the interface has been updated to a chat-style layout.
- The #Topic Autocomplete feature is designed to pop up a list of keywords based on previous hashtagged words in Tweets, Retweets, any hashtagged words selected or searched for in Popular Topics, and in applications like Facebook® for BlackBerry smartphones.
- Retweets now appear in the Home timeline with a tag of “Retweeted by you” quickly alerting users that their retweet has gone through.
New gesture support
- BlackBerry smartphone users with a touch screen device can now refresh page content by simply dragging a finger down the device screen and releasing it.
New Language Support
- Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones 1.1 is now available in Czech, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Thai, and Polish.
There are also these knowledge base articles about the app update: