RIM earnings calls are usually really boring so I skipped the one yesterday. They tend to just have a rant or two by Jim Balsillie along with Apple lovers asking stupid questions. This past earnings call was a bit different from what I gather with Jim Balsillie talking about the BlackBerry OS 6.1 upgrade coming this Spring.
According to what I caught from Engadget Jim was saying that BlackBerry 6.1 is a major upgrade. It is what BlackBerry 6.0 was supposed to be which makes me wonder why its not BlackBerry 7… Here are some select quotes caught by Business Insider:
- "The demand in interest in those products is, like, amazing."
- "The scrambling for them, and trying to get special circumstances for it, is super intense for the various new products."
- "The meetings with the carriers on these products and the level of commitment is outstanding."
- "It’s a very substantial enhancement to the product in some profound ways."
- "The products this summer have enormous interest, carrier engagement globally is extremely high."
- "Their jaws dropped — the carriers’. They love it. And the biggest risk that we have is getting it certified and getting it to market in a certain time."
Anybody else excited? Check out what we know so far about BlackBerry OS 6.1 at this link.