Now that Apple has finally come out and detailed the iPad 2 I know many readers are wondering what it means for RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook. The news is still coming out but reactions are still being processed. So I thought I would ask all of our readers. What do you think of Apple’s iPad 2 announcement?
Here are some of the things we know about the iPad 2 so far:
- It will be available March 11th – Looks like RIM might be a month after Apple on this one…
- The iPad 2 has a dual core processor and amped up graphics – RIM can’t tout the PlayBook as the first dual core tablet anymore
- Dual cameras on both front and back
- Thinner than an iPhone 4 – Not really a huge deal
- $499 price point for entry level model – I still think RIM should come in at $299… But if they must be VERY competitively priced…
- 65,000 iPad apps… RIM has some catch up but not critical with the awesome browser
- Built in 3G on AT&T and Verizon – RIM is not launching a internet enabled model until later. They need to get cracking on that!
- 10 hour battery life – Hopefully RIM beats that since they have the same mAh battery size with a smaller screen.
- HDMI out on the iPad 2 through a dongle – The PlayBook does not require a dongle which is sweet!
The PlayBook still has some sweet features and the enterprise angle on the iPad 2 but it looks like they squandered their time to launch. They really needed to beat the iPad 2 out the door but I think they can make up the lost ground. Check out the Engadget Live Blog for the iPad 2 announcements as the come.
What do you think?