Since RIM started to make noise about their “BlackBerry Balance” solution for separating work and personal information on BlackBerry devices I have wondered how they will execute on it. Back in October we saw the IT Policies that would start this move for RIM but we did not have much detail on what they do. We have slowly heard more and more including some screenshots but now we have some more details thanks to RIM’s release notes for BES 5.0.3. Nothing really groundbreaking but it gives us a taste on what it will be able to do in terms of deleting work data from a personal device.
In short here is what it lets BES administrators control:
- Delete work data from personal devices (See details below)
- Disable forwarding of work content using personal channels
- Disable 3rd party apps from taking screenshots
- Disable 3rd party apps from accessing work data\
- Set if a only work services can be used for performing work functions (bit vague see below)
Let us know if you spot anything else!