Funambol has been around for awhile with their wireless sync solution but they have finally coalesced it into a product for consumers. They just launched a MyFunambol service for BlackBerry that syncs your BlackBerry contacts, calendars, tasks, notes and pictures on a with the Funambol cloud. From there you can sync that information back down to Outlook and pictures can be synched with services like Facebook, Flickr, and Picasa. They offer you a free 50MB account which should be more than enough for most uses except for pictures. They do not have higher plans yet but they plan on coming out with them soon.
Funambol is touting this service as a MobileMe-Like service that also brings BES PIM sync features to users who are not on a BES. You get access to all the information you sync at my.funambol.com and it will also be on your BlackBerry and Outlook. The service also includes a backup feature where you can restore your information to your device at any time to recover deleted data or a lost phone. You can sign up for the service at www.mm4bb.com or read more about their portal here.
Here are some instructions Funambol sent along to speed up the process of setting things up:
Download the Funambol app from the App World on your BlackBerry
- As a normal precaution as with any beta service, it is recommended to have a backup of your mobile phone data before using Funambol.
- Download the Funambol app from App World on your BlackBerry (search for Funambol) and run it.
- The first time the app runs, it asks you to enter your mobile phone number (this is your Funambol username) and a password (remember these to log in later online).
- Once complete, use the app to sync your data.
- After syncing, you can log in at http://www.mm4bb.com or http://my.funambol.com to see your contacts, calendar and pictures on the online portal.
- On the portal, you can share your photos with Facebook, Flickr and Picasa as well as sync Outlook (see below), import your Facebook friends’ profile pictures and more.
IF you want to sync Outlook
- Once logged into the portal, from the My Desktop area, follow the on-screen steps to download the Windows/Outlook Sync client to your PC and install it.
- In the client, enter your Funambol username and password (that you created during sign-up) in Tools -> Options -> Account.
- Using the sync client, sync your Outlook data, which will be synced to your account on the Funambol portal.
- To sync this data from the portal to your BlackBerry, go into the Funambol app on your BlackBerry and sync.
* The Funambol BlackBerry and Outlook Sync clients have settings to schedule automatic sync so everything can be in sync without manually syncing.
* More info can be found in a quick reference guide at http://cdnetworks-us-1.dl.sourceforge.net/project/funambol/docs/v9/Funambol-blackberry-sync-client-quick-start-guide-v9.0.pdf.
* Feedback, questions and problems can be posted on the community-supported Open Discussions forum at https://core.forge.funambol.org/ds/viewForumSummary.do?dsForumId=405.