We have known for awhile that RIM would have to release a new version of BlackBerry Messenger to support their upcoming Social Platform. That platform for developers is based on BBM. RIM has confirmed that the BlackBerry Social Platform SDK is coming in beta during Q1 so they will probably have to release a new BBM version to support it soon. Thanks to Indonesian blog KomBB we have some ideas of the features which were nicely translated to English by PocketBerry:
- The ability to play games and use your BBM user name as your gamer name
- Cross chats between users over BBM (and it looks like you and the other parties playing don’t have to be on each other friends list)
- Also, when we complete tasks on these new games our status will change to show what task we completed (sounds like its similar to the “show what i am listening to tab” and will probably have an option to share with your BBM contacts or hide it from your contacts)
- It also seems like on BBM6, BBM groups will be able to handle more members
- The new BBM6 will be supported on all devices running OS 5+ (at least for now)
- Looks like a mobile game developer company by the name of “Gamemachi” is working on game(s) for this new BBM6 platform. I wonder who else will be joining them?
So what do you think of this upcoming version of BBM? I am waiting for some of these multiplayer games so I hope devs will get a chance to play with the SDK soon!