Last week at DEVCON Asia, we provided updates on several enhancements to the BlackBerry smartphone platform. We previewed what’s coming soon with the BlackBerry® 6.1 platform, including OpenGL®-ES2.0, Support for Digital Compass (enabling augmented reality), new location and user interface APIs. We also provided an update on the highly anticipated BBM™ Social Platform, confirming BETA SDK availability in Q1 of this year.
When RIM first announced the BBM Social Platform it was scheduled to be released in “Spring 2011.” Spring 2011 starts on March 20th so RIM confirming a release in Q1 could mean we will see it sometime between March 20th and the end of March. 🙂 When RIM showed off the Social Platform at DevCon I was really excited and I really cannot wait to see what developers do with this. Essentially it will let them build in a social network and chat into ANY application!
So far this is what we know the BBM Social Platform will allow for:
BBM contact list, user profiles and invitations
- Invite BBM contacts to download your app or initiate a social interaction within your app
- Determine which BBM contact has downloaded your app
- Access user profile info such as avatar, status and location
Application box in user profiles
- Add a customizable application box to a user’s BBM profile to broadcast achievements or provide updates
- Create BBM groups specific to your application
Content/chat from application to BBM
- Initiate embedded chats with BBM contacts from within your app
- Share content with BBM contacts from within your apps
Content/chat from application to application
- Create sub-communities within your application, even if the users are not pre-existing BBM contacts
- Enable social interactions within your sub-communities
Streaming data between applications
- Stream data between users of your applications for real-time use cases such as communication, gaming and location tracking
Anybody else excited to see this integration come in two months?