My buddy Derek has been working on the opensource LogicMail POP3 and IMAP client for BlackBerry for awhile now. There has not been many updates to the app/project in awhile until the latest v2.0 release he just told me about. This new release adds a whole boat load of features and consolidates the many device and OS specific versions of the app. In short if you need a full fledged IMAP, SMTP, and/or POP3 client for your BlackBerry then look no further than LogicMail and the latest 2.0 beta.
The new version 2.0 beta of the LogicMail app brings:
- a Step-by-step setup wizard
- All network communications now happens in the background, and mail data is now locally cached
- Improved look and feel
- Support for both local and remote Sent/Drafts folders
- Ability to copy messages between folders, even across accounts
- Improved message composition, with an Outbox that holds messages until successfully sent
- Keyboard shortcuts mimicking the native messaging application, and touchscreen device support
- Able to read E-Mails written in many different languages and character encodings.
- Supports OS 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, and 6.0
- Any plenty more!
To pick up this new beta head on over to logicmail.org/ota from your BlackBerry or visit the SourceForge Download Page. You can also head on over to the new LogicMail Setup Guide for instructions on how to setup the app. You still need to know the basics of setting up an email account but this will give you another email access option beyond the limits of RIMs BIS and BES service.