BlackBerry Traffic has been cooking in RIM’s beta zone for awhile now. Today they announced that BlackBerry Traffic has shed its beta label and is officially launched in App World. The app is pretty useful though it is a one trick pony. Its one trick is that it gives you very accurate ETA’s on when you will reach your destination before you leave. It does this by aggregating crowd-sourced real-time data and/or historical traffic information to accurately predict the duration of the journey for all users. For areas where no data has been captured through crowd-sourcing, historical traffic data is used to predict the ETA.
Before beginning a trip, you can utilize BlackBerry Traffic to:
- check ETA on your normal route and share with contacts
- check for alternate routes
- get more information on incidents on a chosen route
- check out local promotions you can take advantage of while en route
Key features of the BlackBerry Traffic app include:
- A main drive screen that displays ETA in local time, distance and time remaining to reach your destination, and access to controls for view, destination selection, POI search and sharing information with contacts
- A detailed drive screen that provides a traffic visualization along the current trip
- Icons indicating incident details along the current route
- Bing search to locate new POI destinations
- Ability to share ETAs via SMS, email or PIN with BlackBerry address book contacts or contacts entered manually
BlackBerry Traffic is currently only available in North America and requires OS 4.6+ along with a GPS-enabled device. You can pick up BlackBerry Traffic for free at this link in App World.