UPDATE: We have heard from Umpires TV/Radio that this app is not coming from RIM though they are working close with RIM to promote it. RIM mistakenly stated that they were also involved in launching the app. Umpires also let us know that currently the app is only compatible with the Curve device line with a Torch compatible version coming soon. They rushed out this version to cash in on the World Series angle. Hopefully they will improve the app soon!
RIM just let us know about a very odd application that they launched together with Umpires TV/Radio Inc. The app is called “You Make The Call” and tests your baseball knowledge along with learning the answers to the most perplexing and controversial baseball plays.
The odd parts are that:
- The app was not developed by either RIM or the Umpires TV/Radio Inc but rather by a vendor called Bright Key (not so weird but keep reading)
- The app is HUGE at 5.8 megabytes! That is bigger than BBM!
- The download link RIM sent us is an IP address… They don’t like App World?
- When you launch the app it plays a super annoying song that you cannot turn off and then hangs “loading…” It will then hang “Stopping…” and if you keep on pushing buttons it will finally work…
- It keeps talking and playing sounds without offering you the ability to mute them and see text instead. In other words DO NOT try to download and use this app in a meeting.
- I cannot get the app to close… Had to hard reset. Maybe it just doesn’t work on the Torch?
- I don’t like apps that yell at me. 🙁
If you manage to get the app working it has the following features:
- Baseball video challenges that provide three possible answers and 10 seconds to choose correctly
- Answers and explanations that review key elements of play
- Intense competition – players can win points, see where they rank against others, beat their own score, and even challenge a friend
If you still want to you can download the app and try for yourself (Which I do not recommend) you can do so at the link below and let me know how it works for you: