More and more BlackBerry SIP clients seem to be coming out of the woodwork. It is a shame that RIM refuses to release their own SIP client but 3rd party developers are fighting tooth and nail to pick up the slack. We first did a review of Blackvoib and now we just found out about Vippie Mobie from VoipSwitch. The Vippie Mobile client is available for the BlackBerry Curve & Bold series devices with a version for OS 4.6+ and 5.0+. The nice part is that unlike other BlackBerry VoIP clients VoipSwitch is actually selling Vippie Mobile to consumers for $30 which is pretty high. The upside is that you can use it with any SIP server…
- Support for G711 Codec.
- Support for VoIP tunnel technology which works from blocked areas or from behind firewalls for both incoming and outgoing calls.
- Connectivity over WIFI, EDGE or UMTS.
- Vippie Softphone for BlackBerry can work with VoipSwitch and also with 3rd party SIP servers.
- The softphone can be linked to an IP address of a VoipSwitch (or a sip server) or to DNS name for example sip.mymobilevoipcalls.com
The softphone app lets you:
- Make and receive SIP calls
- Contacts (phone book)
- Balance information
- Destination, rate
- Time, call status logs
- Last calls log
You can read more about the app on their product page along with downloading the app. Purchasing the app has to be done through this page though I have not tried it myself.