I always wanted to meet the product manager for new BlackBerry devices but RIM usually tends to hide them in the background. Doug over at the official BlackBerry Insider blog has been really good at offering some email interviews with the product managers of the latest BlackBerry devices. These interviews give us a little bit of curated insight on how the device came to be.
The latest interview gives us some details on the BlackBerry Torch 9800 courtesy of its Product Manager Annu Dawar. Here are some of the interesting tidbits I found:
- RIM made a point of making the 9800 usable just with the trackpad and keyboard just like other BlackBerrys
- While doing so they still wanted to make sure the touchscreen experience was fluid
- The idea was just to build on the core BlackBerry experience and round it out with BlackBerry 6 features
- They wanted to make sure it was instantly recognizable as a BlackBerry
- Action menus are supposed to entice us change the way we use our BlackBerrys using more efficient methods
Check out the full interview at this link. Hopefully they will do a follow up with the product manager for BlackBerry 6!