Over the last month or so RIM has really been on a roll advertising and promoting the use of BlackBerry Messenger. We mentioned that they have been plastering advertisements all over the US but now they are spreading past that. Here are some examples of how they are doing so.
- RIM has partnered with Xomad LLC, a nightlife & media company, to throw a series of exclusive late night events branded “The BBM Lounge” that begin in LA on August 7th.
- They are also promoting BBM with a string of music events in Canada at music festivals over the summer. You will see BBM barcodes around venues and they will have BlackBerry representatives around. If you add a friend using the barcode you will be entered for VIP passes, tickets, and more. Check out the details on their blog or at bbmefordeets.mobi or on their official blog
- They recently published a nice list of BBM Tips and Tricks for users to learn how to use BBM. Nothing groundbreaking but interesting nonetheless.
- RIM also published a study of how BlackBerry Messenger saved the opening night at a Las Vegas night club.
- Another interesting recent promotion is for celebrity BlackBerrys by using RIM’s eBay mobile app.
All in all it is interesting to see RIM finally promoting their software and applications instead of just their hardware. They are finally realizing that it is software that is making the difference today which is why BlackBerry 6 has my hopes high. Hopefully RIM will hit it out of the park!