I guess nobody ever schooled RIM in anticipating demand. They just opened up the beta program for App World 2.0 for all users in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. The problem is that the bum rush of users trying to download the app has crashed RIM’s servers or at least overloaded them. Somebody from Akamai needs to give RIM a few lessons on using their CDN to handle load bursts like they do for App World.
In case you still want to try when things are back up you can pick up the beta in the beta zone at www.blackberry.com/beta. Currently you will just get a “Proxy Error” but try back in a few minutes or hours.
As a reminder App World 2.0 adds:
- Split Top 25 Themes and Top 25 Apps
- BlackBerry App World Barcode Scanning for easily grabbing apps by just taking a picture
- More Billing Options
- Credit cards – varies by region
- Carrier billing – just pay for an app on your wireless bill
- BlackBerry ID – a new device independent user identification for downloading apps and easily switching devices
Let us know what you think!