RIM let us know that they will be opening up invites to BlackBerry Protect in the BlackBerry Beta Zone later this week. That means if you are not already registered for the Beta Zone I highly recommend doing so at www.blackberry.com/beta. In case you missed our preview of BlackBerry Protect you can read it at this link.
Doug over at the official BlackBerry Blog took the opportunity to interview Michael Accettura, Product Manager for BlackBerry Protect, which is an interesting read. In essence RIM is finally bringing some of their lauded enterprise features to consumers and small businesses.
As a reminder the key BlackBerry Protect features include:
- Remote Device Management:
- Protect important information on a lost BlackBerry smartphone by remotely wiping or locking the device from your desktop
- Remotely add contact information to the home screen of a locked BlackBerry smartphone so it can be returned if found
- See your BlackBerry smartphone’s location and pinpoint the current whereabouts of a lost or stolen device with cell tower and GPS device tracking
- Find a nearby misplaced BlackBerry smartphone by remotely activating a loud ringer
- Over the Air (OTA) Backup and Restore:
- Back up data from your BlackBerry smartphone (including Contacts and Calendar; Memos and Tasks; Browser Bookmarks and Text Messages) over Wi-Fi
- Restore your data to a new BlackBerry smartphone, or simply switch from one BlackBerry smartphone to another