The developer of FileScout, EmacBerry, released a cool new beta application called LittleBrother. The app claims to be a "ZERO-power consuming" tracking solution since it tracks you based on cellphone towers on GSM and CDMA instead of the battery draining GPS method. You can use the app to let your friends and family know when you are around and know when somebody leaves a predefined area with minimal battery drain and data transfer.
The core features of LittleBrother are:
- Automatically send eMail and/or SMS notification when the device is leaving a certain area. This can be used to:
- Keep notified if your children are leaving the area (in which they normally allowed to stay) – e.g. when they take by accident the wrong bus on their way to school.
- Theft detection – if your device will be moved into an area where you normally never would going too [could be ideally combined with other applications like SmrtGuard to wipe your device remotely]
- Automatically send eMail and/or SMS notification when the device is returning into a certain area. Useful to:
- Let your loved once know, that you are coming home soon (e.g. returning from work)
- To be relaxed again when you previously received an LittleBrother "Out of Sector" Notification.
- See an overview map of the last 25 CellTowers you have been connected too – IMHO very informative just to realize how much information about ourselves we are leaving every single day.
- Export the local CellTower Database (locations) to a KML-File and send it via eMail [to be used with GoogleEarth to get an overview of all the CellTowers you have recorded so far].
- Support for device ‘Backup & Restore’: Keep all your LittleBrother CellToer Records when you updating your OS or change your BlackBerry® device!
You can read more about how LittleBrother works on its product page or you can just download the beta OTA for free at this link. I would highly recommend checking out the nice user manual before getting started to limit confusion. Let us know what you think!