There is nothing like a good set of rumors to start your week. One of our contacts shared some info they got about which devices will be seeing OS 6.0 when they launch or will have a future upgrade path to OS 6.0. I could not confirm this info so take it with a large grain of salt. Still the info does not conflict with anything we have heard from other sources except for 256mb devices getting OS 6.0 which was up in the air last time we heard. Its also nice to just get the conversation started. 🙂
According to our source:
- The following devices will get OS 6 at launch: The Clamshell 9670, Bold Slider 9800, Atlas 8980, and Kepler 9300
- The following devices will get OS 6 as an update from OS 5: The Tour 9650, Pearl 9100 and 9105, Bold 9700, and the Storm 9520 and 9550
They also told us that OS 6.0 is currently set for Q3 but even that is not solid since it is currently in early beta and carrier testing is only coming online in July.
Some of the features coming in OS 6.0 include:
- Graphical context menu in tables list and tabs.
- The long context menu has ended Unified search framework included in 3rd party app data
- Multiple contact lists – Been waiting for this for ages!
- Message list enhancements (displaying pushed 3rd party app data)
- Wifi LBS supports
- reverse geo coding (geo to zip)
- travel time service within Canada and USA
- trackpad support for swipe gestures. – VERY COOL!
- Barcode 1D/2D scanning support
- Auto-Focus enhancements (Camera lens and Auto-Focus are now separate)