NeatReceipt Mobile Scanner
For most of our readers, messy unorganized paper clutter is disappearing as their world turns digital. But the wait until total changeover is unbearable, as bills and important documents stubbornly continue to stream in through the paper loving postal service. NeatCo is a company whose sole purpose is to fill in the gap, providing both scanners that make the digitizing process easy and software to capture and organize the data within your documents.
With their NeatReceipts mobile scanner, NeatCo delivers everything I asked for–a smaller USB powered scanner coupled with their organizational software.
A little while ago I had the chance to review NeatCo’s more substantial organizer called the NeatDesk (see review here). The NeatDesk was a monster of a scanner, with different input slots to scan batches of different paper types. You could put in a stack of business cards or a stack of papers, and the NeatDesk would take care of it. I loved it, but complained about that it as just too substantial a product for the everyday user who doesn’t scan batches of documents often.
The NeatReceipts Mobile scanner, in contrast, is a scanner more suited for occasional user like me.
- It’s smaller; it is roughly one foot long and one inch wide and high. It scans papers, photo and cards by rolling them through.
- It’s more convenient; it is USB powered so you don’t have to deal with cluttered cords or another device looking for room in your already crowded power socket.
- It’s fast; it scanned each of my photos in about 3 seconds.
- It’s stylish; the NeatReceipt has the same shiny white, iPod like, plastic exterior as the original NeatDesk. You won’t feel the need to hide it when it is not in immediate use.
- It’s easy to use; open the program and just hit the scan or pdf button.
- It’s cheaper; it costs $199 compared to the NeatDesk’s $399.
But more important than being a simple scanner, NeatCo bundles the same organizational software with the NeatReceipt as it does with the NeatDesk. The software differentiates between different types of documents, grabs the relevant data from those documents, creates the associated file type, and uses the data to create helpful documents. For instance, scan in a business card and the software will recognize that it as such, collect the pertinent character data from the cards and create a contact file to use in your database (outlook or address book). Scan in a receipt and it will similarly recognize it as such, pull the purchase and store information from the scan, and insert it into a running database file of all your purchases for tax season. The software exactly what it is billed as–a digital filing assistant.
All in all, the NeatReceipt scanner and software package are a solid combination and a useful addition to a productivity setup.