A while back I was looking for a text to speech application for people who want to listen to incoming emails while on the road. Around that time the options were limited and not many apps were available. Some of the services then required you to call in to listen to your messages and some just didn’t work that great. A year later there is plenty of native BlackBerry apps. while at WES 2010 we stop by Voice On The Go booth and spoke to them about their newly launched BlackBerry apps a free application and a premium service application for the BlackBerry. One of the main differences between the two is that with the premium it not only reads incoming pin, email and text messages but it also let’s you reply to them.
DriveCareFully is their free application, it reads your incoming e-mails, PIN and SMS messages so that you can keep your hands on the wheel while you drive.
- Available in English, Spanish, and French
- Easy to use, includes an ON/OFF Switch
- Automatically Plays via Compatible Bluetooth
- Works with OS 4.5 or higher
- Drive responsible
Download Via App world at this Link
Voice On the Go is their premium service application with all the features the free application has but the main differences is the ability to
- The application automatically converts your speech into text
- Email: Listen to, compose, reply, forward, navigate, and delete Email
- SMS: Send SMS
- Facebook: update status
- Twitter: send Tweets
- Calendar: listen to and create appointments
- Contacts: Search and call contacts
- Supports all POP3 and/or IMAP Email services, including: Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, .Mac mail and Exchange.
- 30 Day Free trail after that is $5.99 per month cancel anytime.
The applications work by transferring the text data to their online servers and converting it to speech and playing it back through the BlackBerry. One of the questions I made sure to ask was how secure their services are? and If they store any of the data transferred to their service? They say the data is only temporarily stored while it is converted to speech and is automatically deleted after it is fed back to the blackberry. For those of you that like services like this check it out, if you have a company issued BlackBerry I would recommend not using it because it may get you in trouble with your company. You can pick up the premium application has a 30 day free trial and their premium service cost $5.99 per month. To learn more about their services go to www.voiceonthego.com