One of the cool new features that came in BIS 3.X was the ability to synchronize your Gmail or Google Apps contact list with your BlackBerry wirelessly. That is all good and dandy but say you wanted to remove the synchronization in the future. I was curious how I could do that myself and RIM did a good job of answering that in this Knowledgebase article.
NOTE: PLEASE make sure to backup your BlackBerry to your computer before performing these steps!
To remove the Gmail contact list from your BlackBerry smartphone, please complete the following steps:
- On the Home screen of your BlackBerry smartphone, click Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.
- Highlight the <username>@gmail.com [SYNC] service book to make sure that you have the sync setup
- Open the contact list or address book on your BlackBerry smartphone.
- Press the Menu key and click Options.
- Type RSET in the Contacts options.
- A dialog box appears asking the BlackBerry smartphone user to erase the <username>@gmail.com contact list. WARNING: Keep in mind if you have multiple address books synchronized to your device it will ask you once per address book. PLEASE make sure to only delete the address book for the Gmail account you want deleted!!!
- Click Yes.
- UPDATE: You will also have to log into your carriers BIS login page or enter in the “Email Setup” application on your BlackBerry to turn off wireless contact sync for that Google address. Alternatively you can also go to your address book and head to Options in the menu and select the contact list you want to turn off at the bottom of that screen and turn off wireless sync in its options.