The iPad really raised a ruckus in the tablet market. I am still not sure what problem or need the iPad is solving for people but it is definitely in high demand. We heard quite a few rumors a bit back that RIM was working on their own tablet and The Street just stoked the flames by adding some more rumored info to the “BlackPad” tale.
Scott Moritz of The Street had the following to say (summarized):
- RIM is rethinking its tablet strategy
- They originally planned on releasing a Android based tablet by the end of this year but decided instead to base it on the BlackBerry 6 OS they showed of at WES
- This decision to use BlackBerry 6 has pushed off its release date to early next year
- RIM will market the tablet to the consumer market instead of their usual enterprise approach
- The device will supposedly use the Marvell Armada processor instead of Intel or other offerings
Take all of this with a grain of salt since it is coming from analysts who are paid to speculate. Still its disheartening to see that once again RIM is playing the catch up game with Apple. Hopefully they can come out with their own differentiating feature that will blow the iPad out of the water. All I ask is that it PLEASE NOT have SurePress!!!!!!!!!