Well the sad truth is out. Our friends in Europe let us know that they have been upgraded to BIS 3.0. Sadly it looks like we were right and Gmail read/unread sync was pulled from the BIS 3.0 release. I even went back to some documentation I had on BIS 3.0 from a bit back and it clearly states that Gmail read/unread sync was supposed to be included.
Here were the exact words:
Enhancements to the Gmail/Google Mail Plug-in
The Enhanced Gmail/Google Mail Plug-In (referred to hereafter simply as “the plug-in”) introduces the next level of email integration for BlackBerry by supporting Gmail/Google Mail specific actions and views. The current Gmail/Google Mail integration with BlackBerry supports
- “Archive” action
- “Report as Spam” action
- Applying Labels to messages
- Applying Stars to messages
- Search all your Gmail/Google Mail from your BlackBerry
- “Conversation View” of related messages.
- Account to device synchronization of deleted items
The 3.0 release introduces:
- Account to device synchronization of read/unread status, and sent items
- Ability to create and delete labels from handheld
Use of the Gmail Plug-in requires BlackBerry handheld software v4.5 or greater (preloaded on devices running BlackBerry handheld software 5.0+) and a Gmail/Google Mail integration (Gmail/Google Mail integration must be using IMAP, not POP) within BlackBerry Internet Service (Not a stand-alone application separate from BlackBerry).