I have always had a soft spot for Trapster even though I don’t own a car. The idea of a free & legal speed trap detector always interested me. Kyle @BBCool spotted their latest upgrade to version 3.6 which adds two new features to the mix.
Some of the new features in 3.6:
- Dynamic alert area narrows and elongates based on your velocity and direction of travel.
- Customizable alert filters allow you to specify what types of traps you will be alerted to, and how you’re alerted.
- Custom sound themes for spoken alerts, in lots of fun voices, plus French, German, and Spanish language.
- Real time traffic information for many areas.
- All new native BlackBerry UI, no more DOS looking menus.
- Improved signup process.
- Ability to search for your location manually on BlackBerrys with no GPS or blocked GPS.
How it works: The blue Virtual Radar blip emanates from your GPS location and follows you in real time. As you approach reported trap locations and one or more of the traps come within that alert area, Trapster begins playing spoken alerts such as "Live Police" or "Red Light Camera", and animating the associated icons. Of course as with everything Trapster, you can report new traps and rate the traps that other users have reported