Matthias let me know that he has updated his immensely popular FileScout file manager application to version 1.4.1. FileScout is a donationware application that you can download and donate as much as you deem fit. The new version 1.4.1 brings quite a few changes under the hood to make the app more stable and memory efficient. You won’t see those updates in the change log below but they translate into a faster more stable application.
- New Simple TextViewer/Editor Option: Select how files will be saved. Either in ‘UNIX Format (CR)’ (default) or in’Windows Format (CRLF)’. By default BlackBerry is storing files in the UNIX Format – which makes editing afterwards e.g. with Windows Notepad a bit difficult.
- Storm 2 (9520/9550) will be treated as the Storm 9500/9530 devices (but still no touch screen support yet)
- Added a MenuItem for the “Go to Directory” + function
- Various performance and memory issue improvements
- Sometimes FileScout was instantly started again after it was closed by the user (e.g. when during the FileScout session some media files had been opened) – this issue should be solved with this build.
- OS 5.x ONLY: Endless loop for system folder fixed – Unfortunately in Beta OS 5.x (Storm & Bold) it’s not possible anymore to access the system folder via the file system API – it looks like RIM have restriced the access to this folder. With this Version FileScout will display an error message when the API does not return any content for a folder. This also means that FileScout can’t be used to delete pre-installed files located in the subfolders of ‘system’ for Storm and Bold devices that have installed the OS 5.x. (Beta)
- Additional small tweaks for OS5.x Users.
Please note, if you still have BBFileScout installed [before the Application name change Version 22.214.171.124] you have to deinstall BBFileScout first in order to use FileScout v126.96.36.199 – I am sorry for this inconvenience!