When we mentioned that RIM updated their suite of instant messaging applications to version 2.5 there was one feature that really stood out. The ability to add a dedicated homescreen icon for a specific contact. This icon always shows their current status and their current avatar. I started using it for my wife but I cannot imagine having more than one.
One of the questions we kept on hearing was how do you actually setup these dedicated homescreen icons. To experienced users this may be a no brainer but we got asked a few times so its not that obvious.
To add a dedicated conversation shortcut to your homescreen
- Install and sign into the IM v2.5 client of your choice
- Hover over the contact you wish to add to your homescreen
NOTE: if you highlight a active chat it will not work. You need to highlight the actual contact. You can do that simply by searching for their name.
- Hit the menu button and select the option to show in homescreen
- The homescreen icon is supposed to appear in the same location where the IM client icon is but that is not always the case. Mine showed up in the downloads folder and some other people had it show up in the IM clients folder.
- To remove the icon just hover over it and click remove from homescreen
Let us know if you have any questions!