Today I woke up to see that the awaited app Google announced back in May which integrates BES to enhance your Gmail account services with some cool features but so far I have heard mix feelings from users. Quite a few of twitter followers don’t seem to be impress with it, but I wonder if is because some of them might be on BIS plan not a BES . Many of us running OS 5.0 are out of luck at the moment because it will not download, it tells you that your device does not meet system requirements. This new application it is supposed to enhance features such as automatically syncing your Gmail contacts with your BB, Calendar, archive messages, assign labels. I have not had the chance to test it out on mine because it will not let me download, so if you have a chance to play with it let us know what are your thoughts of it. To get a copy of this app simply point your BlackBerry browser to www.blackberry.com/gmail
Here is a list of the features from the Official Google Enterprise Blog
- Messages sent to your Gmail inbox are pushed to your BlackBerry within 60 seconds.
- Emails read/deleted on your BlackBerry are marked as read/deleted in Gmail, and vice-versa.
- Emails archived/starred on your BlackBerry are archived/starred in Gmail, and vice-versa.
- BlackBerry folders are synchronized with labels in Gmail.
- You can search for contact information of coworkers from the global address list on your BlackBerry.
- Contacts in Gmail are automatically synchronized with your BlackBerry address book.
- You can view your Google Calendar schedule with the native BlackBerry application, with one-way synchronization from Google Calendar to your BlackBerry device. Two-way calendar sync with the ability to accept, decline and schedule meetings from your BlackBerry device is not available with this release but we are working on it.
- Administrators can use the management and security tools that are part of BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
This new features are free for now, but it seems the option for now only offers one way syncing and it doesn’t sync any new changes you make. Thanks to Nolan for sending this link to a BlackBerry Knowledgebase article about the new Enhanced Google Mail plug-in. Let us know what you think in the comments below.