NOTE: This is currently only available for the Bold but other Wi-Fi BlackBerry support is coming soon!
Gideon let me know about a new app they have just developed. The app is called Wi-Fi File Transfer and is a great solution that I am surprised nobody thought of before. It simply lets you browse your BlackBerrys file system over Wi-Fi and copy, paste, add, remove and rename files back and forth just using your computers browser. This essentially means you do not need media manager and desktop manager just to copy a new MP3. I am not sure about the security but the idea is pretty slick! This combined with a assigned static DHCP address could give you easy access to your device when you are home.
From the description:
Wi-Fi File Transfer for BlackBerry allows the transfer of files from a PC or Mac directly to your BlackBerry over Wi-Fi using your browser. No need for Desktop Manager, Media Manager, USB drivers or any other 3rd party applications: Just a BlackBerry Bold, PC/Mac with browser and a Wi-Fi network.
What you need:
- A BlackBerry Bold with Wi-Fi File Transfer installed. (Wi-Fi File Transfer is currently only available for the BlackBerry Bold)
- A PC or Mac with browser
- A Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure your device and PC or Mac are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Start “Wi-Fi File Transfer” on the device. An IP address will be shown.
- Type this IP address into the PC or Mac browser and start browsing your BlackBerry! Upload and download files directly from the browser.
- View the BlackBerry file system from the browser and transfer any files to and from device internal memory (900Mb for BOLD) or SD card. Turn your BlackBerry into a memory stick!
- Upload movies, pictures and music directly to your BlackBerry and view them with the BlackBerry device Media Player.
- View and play pictures, music, PDF files etc. stored on your BlackBerry straight from the browser.
- Browse, rename, delete, and create new folders on the BlackBerry from either the browser or the device application itself.