RIM let me know that Verizon has announced the upcoming release of the 8230 Pearl Flip. This was a long time coming and I am glad to see that it will finally be coming out June 19th. The sad part is that the price will be $129.99 after a $70 mail in rebate which is WAY higher than the $49.99 of its GSM variant on other carriers. I did not realize that CDMA licensing costs were so high… 🙂
NOTE: The press release does mention visual voicemail support. If so that will be a pretty big deal for many people!
As a reminder the features of the 8230 Pearl Flip are:
- Visual Voice Mail to help customers prioritize their messages
- Two high-resolution color displays — an external LCD lets customers preview incoming messages without opening the handset
- A 2.0 megapixel camera with zoom, flash and video recording capabilities
- Large SureType keyboard for easy typing and dialing
- A microSD/SDHC card slot with support for up to 16 GB of memory per card
Nothing really else new. Sadly the Pearl Flip is more or less ignored by many developers so it might not always be the best bet for users who are into games, themes, and other add-ons. On the other hand the device is pretty solid even if it does feel like it is always falling out of your hand.