We have been talking about OS 5.0 for quite awhile now. Going over the details again and again. That is why I was surprised when I read the release notes of the just released BlackBerry JDE 5.0 beta. I was digging around to see if RIM would finally allow an API to record phone calls but sadly it is not in there but I did notice a whole slew of new API’s that will lead to some COOL applications.
Just read them for yourself:
Enhanced Media Key Events
- It is now possible for BlackBerry device applications to respond to key presses of "media" keys even when the BlackBerry device application is in the background. This allows a BlackBerry device user to control media playback using certain keys even while another BlackBerry device application is in the foreground.
Multiple ContactList Support
- New API supports multiple Personal Information Management (PIM) data sources. It allows third party developers to use existing PIM APIs to access and query each individual address book on a BlackBerry smartphone
- Enables third party developers to customize incoming and active call screens by adding static text or images to the lower half of those screens
Multi-line API (Multiple Phone lines)
- Multiple cellular and PBX lines are now available on BlackBerry smartphones. Third party applications can access the various phone lines, retrieve corresponding phone numbers, invoke the phone app and have it use a specific phone line, etc.
- Allows BlackBerry device applications to embed a viewfinder, record video clips and display
them within the viewfinder using the functionality specified in JSR 135.