About once a month I start noticing that my BlackBerry is running with 0 memory free. I only realize this once I see that the OS has started to cannibalize my phone logs, emails, & more. I then am forced to reboot before I lose anything more. It pisses me off every time!
Cray let me know about a new application that hopes to solve this problem. I know some of you will complain about installing another application to monitor memory but I think this is something RIM should have addressed themselves and a 10kb application is negligible. The application lets you set a memory threshold where it will alert you when your memory drops below a certain level. You can set it to notify you by sound, vibration, or LED flashing.
For $2.99 in the store this application is a pretty good deal and it has a 2 day free trial. If you install it let me know what you think.
From the description:
Memory Eye is an extremely light weight and compact memory monitoring utility for your Blackberry Smartphone. Memory Eye allows you to set a memory threshold and when your devices memory drops below your set point, your phone alerts you. You get an informative pop-up and have the option to be alerted with vibration and a blinking LED in 6 colors! Then if your memory keeps dropping, you keep getting alerts. Memory Eye has a tiny 10kb footprint to ensure your not wasting memory while monitoring memory. Unlike other apps that have huge front ends, graphics, etc that waste memory, Memory Eye was optimized and fully tested to have no impact on device memory at all! Plus there is no icon taking up wasted space, Memory Eye is configured through the standard BB options menu.
Memory Eye is not only great for those who are constantly worried and checking their available memory, but also those who want to make sure their old calendar events, call logs, and e-mails don’t get deleted because their memory dropped too low when they weren’t watching. The BB OS has a feature to delete these items automatically without warning when your memory drops too low. Even with the newest hybrids, memory can drop if you accidentally leave a 3rd party app open too long, and now with Memory Eye you can set it and forget it. Many beta testers felt this should have been part of the original BB OS!
Memory Eye comes with a 2 day free trial to evaluate the application before buying, because I am confident you will wonder how you lived without it and why it wasn’t included int the OS! And of course, all the great future improvements and versions planned are included for free for all customers!
- The ability to set custom memory alerting threshold from 1MB to 50MB!
- Ability to set 6 different LED colors for alerting. (Red, Blue, Green, Purple, Yellow, White and Disabled)
- Ability to enable vibrate alert.
- If your memory continues to drop you will be alerted, or you can reset to the original threshold you entered when you have corrected your memory condition.
- Extremely tiny 10kb app size ensures no wasted memory or battery life.
- Fully beta tested by my top notch beta testing team.
- NEW: You can now reset your device when your memory drops below your threshold! Just like doing a battery pull but without the hassle.
- NEW: You can reset your device at any time from the Memory Eye options menu!