It looks like Yahoo is giving up on Yahoo! Go. Yahoo announced a new mobile website / application for BlackBerrys that is coming in March and May of 2009. The new website that supports the Storm & Bold browsers will be coming in late March 2009 and the new application will be coming to BlackBerrys in May 2009. Its more or less vaporware for now so I will just give you the description below.
NOTE: They do have a closed beta going on now that you can sign up for at mobile.yahoo.com from your BlackBerry browser. Still waiting to get accepted myself.
KEY FEATURES OF YAHOO! MOBILE (from the press release)
- Yahoo! oneSearch – Yahoo!’s award-winning mobile search service providing the most current, relevant answers you need.
- Today – The most interesting stories buzzing on the Internet right now, selected by Yahoo!’s editorial team.
- Yahoo! oneConnect – Yahoo!’s service designed to provide consumers everything they need to stay in touch with the people about whom they care:
- Email – Access to Yahoo! Mail and other popular email service providers, including Gmail®, Windows Live™ Hotmail and AOL® Mail.
- Pulse – Access to their social networks, including Bebo®, Dopplr™, Facebook®, Flickr®, Friendster®, Last.fm®, MySpace®, Twitter™ and YouTube™.
- Yahoo! Messenger – An upgraded version of Yahoo!’s popular mobile instant messaging service.
- Yahoo! Address Book – Keeps consumers’ contacts always handy and in sync.
- Yahoo! Calendar – View, add and edit appointments when users are away from their PCs.
- Yahoo! News – Breaking headlines across popular topics.
- Yahoo! onePlace™ – Access and manage your favorite content, all from one location. Its “Add Anything” functionality is a simple-to-use search and browse process that helps users find and add what they want. Consumers can add their favorite interests from a growing selection of popular categories including news topics and sources, RSS feeds, weather conditions, sports scores, stock quotes, websites/blogs, horoscopes and movie theaters.
The smartphone version of Yahoo! Mobile will include the above functionality, plus:
- Yahoo! oneSearch with Voice™ – Allowing users to launch searches by simply speaking.
- Maps – Powerful improved tools that let consumers locate, learn about and get directions to points of interest.
- Opera Mini™ 4.2 – An integrated version of the world’s most popular mobile web browser, with easy return to the Yahoo! Mobile app, that launches when web site access is needed.
- Widgets – Enhanced mobile-optimized experiences for services from Yahoo! and other brands. Users can browse, add and remove these at anytime according to their tastes.