Review Zagg Invisible Shield For The Blackberry curve 8900
Cost: Full-Body Coverage $24.95 & Screen-Only coverage $11.95 @ www.zagg.com
What are you always afraid of doing when you get a new BlackBerry? If you’re anything like me, you tend to somehow get them scratched in the first week. Now I try to keep the device looking new for as long as possible. When I got the new 8900, the first thing I wanted to do was find a way to protect it from being scratched. Thanks to the nice guys at www.zagg.com, the makers of the InvisibleShield for Mobile and electronic devices, I had the chance to test their new Invisible shield for the BlackBerry 8900.
Some of you may already be familiar with their product already, but in case you aren’t, I will explain. What they do is provide your phone with a military grade shield that covers almost all of your BlackBerry, especially the most vulnerable spots that tend to get scratched first. The clear film which the shield is made of is only 0.2 millimeters thick and looks just like regular plastic, but is actually quite strong.
The shield comes in a box that folds out into three sections the far left hand side has the film in a plastic container, the middle section contains all the instructions you will need, and finally the section in the right contains a spray solution in a small bottle and a small installation squeegee.
*When you install this, make sure you do it when you have some spare time, this might take a while and a good deal of patience as it requires you to be careful so that you do not get any bubbles under the plastic, especially on the flat parts of the device.
The pieces for the shield are carefully cut into pieces that will fit precisely into each section of your device. There are about 13 different pieces. The main ones being for the screen, back cover and surrounding areas of the phone.
- I recommend scoping out where and how each piece fits the BB.
- Wash your hands clean and spray some of the liquid solution provided on the tips of your fingers.
- Peel each piece one by one as you are ready to place the pieces on the BB.
- Spray lightly each side of the piece of film with some of the liquid.
- One technique that worked for me while installing this was finding a place for each piece where you can easily align it and then work your way slowly removing any bubbles with the squeegee as you go. (Do not let it fall on it.)
- Believe it or not, the hardest part to install is the one on the flat surface, so install this section carefully so you don’t get any wrinkles or trapped bubbles.
What you get after installation
- Once you’re all done, the device has a shiny glossy look to it.
- Adds a better grip to it so it doesn’t fall out of your hands easily.
- No added bulk to the BB.
- Really good protection.
- Invisible protection which means you can still have full view of your phone.
- Can easily be removed without leaving any residue.
- Most important: scratch-proof protection.
The main problem with the InvisibleShield is that it is a bit of a hassle to install it. Also, if you are not careful, you can easily leave air bubbles on the flat part of the surface, which may look unsightly. Other than that, it is a great product to have on you BlackBerry if installed correctly.
This can easily be used with other BB cases since it doesn’t add more bulk to the device and is perfect for those that like to carry their cell phone in their pockets or in their hands. Now you can do it without any worries of getting it damaged with scratches (from keys and such).
You can find more information at their site along with some nice demonstration videos.