We are pleased to announce the initial launch of the BerryReview Software Directory! Due to the nature of a blog, articles are organized chronologically. We could mention a great free app one day and, a month later, it is hidden behind more recent news. For example, new BlackBerry users may not know about the very useful and free OnToCalendar application. So we decided to do something to make life easier for you!
After the success of the BerryReview Theme Directory, we are now proud to introduce a dedicated software directory where you can find all of the free or commercial software ever featured on BerryReview from the beginning of 2009 until now (more coming soon). We wanted to create a portal where new and veteran users can easily find, discover, & install BlackBerry applications. It is also intended to be a great place for new users to find applications for their devices.
The directory is still in its initial phase. Currently, each entry in the directory allows for easy access to a screenshot, product link, OTA (Over The Air) & desktop installation links, the price, and a short excerpt. Software is broken down into the following categories:
- Device Utilities
- Travel & Maps
- News & Weather
- Games & Fun
- Finance & Banking
- Music & Media
- Misc Applications
Check it out at the link below and tell your friends!
Keep in mind that this is the first phase and it has some caveats. Currently, the directory only works from the desktop version of BerryReview. A mobile version will be added soon. We are BlackBerry enthusiasts and not developers so creating our own custom plug-in for WordPress using MySQL/PHP is slow going. If you have suggestions or want to help, let us know using our contact form.
Just to give you an idea, here’s what is coming next for the directory: (in no specific order)
- User ratings – we want to give you an easy way to voice your opinion.
- Mobile version of the directory – duh!
- Allow submissions of applications to the directory (use the contact form for now).
- Ability to filter and sort based on attributes – to help you find free and cheap applications.
- Popularity: check how popular an application is.
- Add a directory specific search (right now, the search is sitewide).
- Add an RSS feed for the directory and specific categories.
- Add other categories: business solutions, mobile services, etc.
As an FYI, tips about how we can improve the directory are eligible for our monthly $50 tips giveaway. Please let us know what you think in the comments!