Earlier this morning Google released Google Maps version 3 with a new feature that has the internet wondering what is next. The new feature is called Latitude and lets you login to your Google account and share your location with your friends. This is definitely a game changer for Google and the beginning of a grassroots social network. Now lets see if it takes off…
With Google Latitude, you can:
- See where your friends are and what they are up to
- Quickly contact them with SMS, IM, or a phone call
- Maintain complete control over your privacy
From your mobile phone – View your friends’ locations and status messages and share yours with them. (Supported phones)
From your computer – View your friends’ locations and status messages on a full screen even without a compatible phone or data plan. Click here to see your friends from your PC.
- Share locations
- Location sharing starts only when both you and a friend agree. Invite friends via email or easily add them from your Gmail contacts.
- Control Privacy
- You can share, set, or hide your location – or turn off Google Latitude – from the privacy menu. You can also hide your location or share only a city-level location with certain friends.
- Share Status
- Create a status message and upload your photo within Latitude. It also syncs directly with Google Talk. Check your friends’ status messages to see what your friends are up to.
- Contact Your Friends
- Quickly contact your friends with an SMS, IM, or phone call. You can also get directions to lead you to your friends.