Back in the day on my S60 Nokia 3650 & N-gage (Yeah I admit to having one) I had a really cool program that I wish was available for BlackBerry. It would constantly monitor your location based on the cellphone tower you were connected to and allow you to set certain rules based on which tower you were connected to or just disconnected from.
- You could set it to send your wife a text or email when you left work or were almost home.
- You could make it automatically set your profile to vibrate when you get to work and turn it back to normal when you leave.
- You could make it automatically set your alarm clock when you are home.
- You could set it to turn off or on Bluetooth or WiFi when you are home to save battery life.
- Set a custom alert to remind you to go shopping when you are near the store.
- You could set an alert to remember your keys, lock up, or other information before you leave the house.
- It could land a plane on the moon while you are waiting in traffic (kidding)
- And more…
As you can see this could have a ton of cool uses. Implementing this based on Cell Tower information is the best but GPS could also work. The problem is that GPS eats extra battery life, takes a few seconds to get a location, and does not work indoors.
So I have to pose this question to all BlackBerry developers out there… Is my dream possible?